My Views on the SCA

Thoughts and opinions about the SCA. Including rants, raves and reviews. General notes on my SCAdian life.

My Photo
Name:

(SCA Persona)-- A Jute, born in the great and fine lands of Juzki (Jutland), I was raised to be a metalsmith but learned to wage battle to protect my home lands. As life went on I saw a need to go forth and crush those that would someday try to take our lands. Now I live by my sword and get paid in plunder. It is a fitting life.. My the gods look down on me with favor. Hearing news of an army from the south advancing north, I and fellow kinsmen took to the ships. We sailed south and west along the coast and down the Elbe. We joined with the armies to push back the advancing Romans. For many years I fought as a mercenary against Rome. With plenty of gold, weapons and armor taken from my enemies I took back to the ship. Sailing from Gaul I made my way north to the island of Britian where I met the people of the crow. Clanne Preachain took me in as one of their own and by their side is where I fought for many years. One day I may find myself in my homelands but for now life is good. I have even married a woman of Anglesey, but she is from a land north of my homelands. She came by way of ship to ply her trade with the spear. Now I fight by her side and with her people.

Friday, April 4, 2008

The hell that is getting a registered SCA name

So, I decided to go ahead and get a registered SCA name and device. The device is not going to be difficult but a name is a hard thing. When I started I had no clue if I would even like it. A woman I was dating brought me into it and I was already in my 30s. Well she insisted that I come up with a name and I did not like any of the ones she suggested and she shot down name I came up with because they sounded to much like another persons name. Finally I remembered a word I liked when reading Beowulf. I could not remember if it it was a name or the meaning of the word. So, I went with it. Ondrædan was the name I chose. Well, I can't use it in the SCA because it is a strong verb and not a name. I can show the use of strong verb as names in the culture of choice but since I can not show this one was used I can't use it. I traced back to a similar proto-Norse word but it was in reference to a beast and since it was not a humans name I can't use it.

So, I have been going through names and decided on one that I can trace back to old-Norse and show that it was used up to 1100 CE and I want to use the Ancient Norse version that I can document. Well, after doing all the research and getting books on inter-library loan I documented it and wrote down book titles and dates and authors thinking this is what I need. Was I ever wrong. I can trace the name to sagas and usage through time and give books and page numbers but I did not do one thing that they want, I did not photo copy the pages.

Really, should it be this hard to get a name registered? I will still be using Ondrædan with all the people who know me. This was just so I could register a device and have an accepted name in case I decide to do some tourney fighting. I am tired of the hoops and politics.

I will post my new name when they accept it and I will post my device when it is accepted. Then comes the fun part. Displaying the device in a manor that fits a non-heraldic culture.

Keep tuned in for updates and check out http://jutewarrior.blogspot.com/ for updates on my armor and other persona related items.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home