My Views on the SCA

Thoughts and opinions about the SCA. Including rants, raves and reviews. General notes on my SCAdian life.

My Photo
Name:

(SCA Persona)-- A Jute, born in the great and fine lands of Juzki (Jutland), I was raised to be a metalsmith but learned to wage battle to protect my home lands. As life went on I saw a need to go forth and crush those that would someday try to take our lands. Now I live by my sword and get paid in plunder. It is a fitting life.. My the gods look down on me with favor. Hearing news of an army from the south advancing north, I and fellow kinsmen took to the ships. We sailed south and west along the coast and down the Elbe. We joined with the armies to push back the advancing Romans. For many years I fought as a mercenary against Rome. With plenty of gold, weapons and armor taken from my enemies I took back to the ship. Sailing from Gaul I made my way north to the island of Britian where I met the people of the crow. Clanne Preachain took me in as one of their own and by their side is where I fought for many years. One day I may find myself in my homelands but for now life is good. I have even married a woman of Anglesey, but she is from a land north of my homelands. She came by way of ship to ply her trade with the spear. Now I fight by her side and with her people.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Blackstone Raids XVII



This weekend was Blackstone Raids. I blogged about our first time at this event last year. We had an even better time this year. This was my war of colors. I wore my Preachain colors and I wore Anglesey colors for Oona and then I was asked to wear the Ponte Alto colors.

We thought it would just be us again, this year but to our surprise Llyr and Ursus came to the event. This year we arrived earlier on Friday, around 7:00 in the evening. After getting settled we met up with Llyr and Ursus and sat around talking while we waited for Grendal. After Grendal arrived and was settled we went strolling. We ended up at the torch light tourney and met a few more folks, sorry I am really bad at remembering names. We strolled a little more then called it a night.

We were up and ready to go on Saturday morning. Skip the garb, hop into mundane clothes and went to breakfast at Bob Evens. Then back to get ready for the fighting. We got to the field and had no problems in inspection. While waiting around I met “Goblin” in person (a friend on tribe.net). Then we gathered with the Atlantain forces and met up with the fighters of Ponte Alto.

We had been to a few of the Ponte Alto practices a year ago before buying the house and then we stopped going. The folks from Ponte Alto were very welcoming and friendly. The same with the rest of the Atlantian forces. I was warmed by the change in attitude from 7 years ago when I started fighting. I have heard stories from as far back as 20 year ago but, things have changed and that makes me happy. Oona and I plan to make it to more practices again. After the field battles the Baron of Ponte Alto ask if I would wear a Ponte Alto tabored for the bridge battles. I was honored to wear it.

It was fun to fight with them and I hope I was a help on the bridge. I do not know how they train to fight as a group so, I followed orders when given and did what I was trained to do the rest of the time, push and hit. It was an all out fun day. I twisted my back towards the end of the last bridge battle as I fell backwards over the wall as another person fell across my legs. So, I opted out of the gate battle and got a shower.

Oona took off after the field battles and got some great pictures. You can see them here http://oona-ondraedan.smugmug.com/gallery/4811388_5rRLe#286000162_roaWM. Ursus is sure to have some great photos. I can't wait until he gets them up.

We were invited to join the Barony of Ponte Alto for dinner but had to pass because of previous plans. Like I said earlier we will be doing more with the barony in the future. I plan to fight with them at our next event this year, unless I am needed to fill in the Anglesey numbers. I do not expect Preachain to have a force at that event. It will be a challenge to maintain allegiances but, I always like a challenge. The only time there is a real show of force from the clans these days is Pennsic and local events like Highland River Melees.

Oh, yea.... Back to the event. I get side tracked easily.

So, we did dinner then went to The Dancing Pig to shop. Its a habit that is going to be hard to break if Amber keeps adding new designs. The china closet is full and I have a self in the man cave full of pottery. Oona headed off with Ursus and Llyr while I took the loot back to our room and grabbed some light and refreshing beverages to take on walk about.

I met up with the folks at Ceder Lodge and then we waited around for the feast to end and people to start moving about. After some light and refreshing beverages Oona and I headed to our room to get ready for the evening and we made plans to meet up with the guys in an hour.
We found Ursus and Llyr at the bardic circle. They were there with Sir Bryce and William T and others. The bardic circle had been invaded by drummers so we went into the hall at the top of the hill and had a seat. Sir Bryce, Ursus, William and Llyr all entertained us with song. After a while Oona and I left to get more beverage but, when we got to the room we never made it back out. We were really tired.

The next morning it was time for the long drive home.

And that was how it happened. Sorry there was not much humor in this blog but I could not find spots for wit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home